07 Aug Painting the town red with PEPPADEW®
The PEPPADEW® dinner showcased the versatility of the product.
PEPPADEW® invited us to a dinner a couple of weeks ago to show us that the product can be be used in practically any dish. I generally only put piquanté peppers in salads or in macaroni and cheese (it’s one of my secret ingredients). The chef however showed us that it can be used in so much more.
We started off the evening with delicious bread and sweetcorn soup. For mains we had gnocchi and butternut tagine and we ended with a sponge cake and ice cream. That sounds like a pretty average menu, right?…think again! Every single dish included a PEPPADEW® product in some shape or form, and it just worked.
The dishes that stood out for me were…
The soup. A plate with ice-cream was placed in front of me with soup in a ramekan on the side. I was confused and didn’t think I would like it….but I loved it. It was such an innovative dish. As the hot soup was poured around the ice cream, it melted slightly and the flavours were fantastic.
The dessert. An average-looking plate with sponge cake and ice-cream. What’s the big deal? I was transported back to my childhood when I bit into the ice-cream. It had popping candy in it!!!! Give me all the ice-cream!!!!
PEPPADEW® products was also clearly present in the dishes, but was never overpowering, just adding to the flavour. I have been experimenting with piquanté peppers in more of my cooking since the dinner, and it’s been a hit.
Did you know that there’s 27 different products in the PEPPADEW® range?
Below is a recipe for you to try.
Polenta and archar bread
Makes 1 Loaf
- 160g self-raising flour
- 110g polenta
- 15g castor sugar
- 5g baking powder
- 5g salt
- 2 eggs
- 200g low fat plain yoghurt or buttermilk
- 80g sunflower oil
- 70g PEPPADEW® Vegetable Atchar – in hot or mild, dependant on preference
- 70g grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180oC and grease a 10x20cm loaf tin.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, polenta, sugar, baking powder, salt and grated cheese and stir with a fork until the ingredients are well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, yoghurt or buttermilk, oil and the PEPPADEW® Vegetable Atchar.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and work till just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the greased loaf tin. Bake at 180oC for 45 min.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing the loaf from the tin.
Try PEPPADEW® products in your daily cooking and enjoy.